What does it mean to see a pair of sneakers hanging over power lines?
This longstanding question of mine became less of a mystery during a recent Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Surprised by the answer, I took to the Net to validate what I’d heard. What I found was interesting. This symbolic act had not just one meaning but several. Here are some of the more common theories:
- Drugs are sold here / crack house
- Location for gang activity
- A bullying tactic
- Someone has died (which might be true also if 1, 2, 3, or a combination of the three has any merit)
- Virginity lost (Why shoes?)
- Celebration of a graduation from high school or college.
This much is true: Megan and I nearly got arrested trying to throw the neighborhood brat’s shoes over the power line for the picture, we’ve had an awful lot of activity from the “criminal element” since, and I’ve peddled more oregano to dudes in red hats and Denver jerseys than ever before. Oh, and a word of warning: please remove the kid from the sneakers before attempting to sling his shoes over the power lines. LOL
Have you heard any other theories? Or better yet, can you come up with some creative ones of your own? A tightrope walker tragedy, doing a line laced with polyvinyl chloride . . .